Thursday, November 5, 2009

Picture Book Recommendations


I have been on a major library kick since last year. It continues to blow my mind daily that you can request a book and borrow it for FREE - even brand new, hot off the press publications. Best part of all is you RETURN the book so you don't have loads and loads of books making a tower of terror in the corner of your bedroom. I realize this concept is not new but humor me as I am in awe of such a fantastic system! It really is a beautiful thing :)





Ms. C loves herself a good book and it is part of our nightly routine. 4 books is the number we read each night and the max of how many I take out a time for her. I can only keep track of so much! I am going to tell you a few of our all time favorites, so add these to you list if you haven't read them already!



Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberly






Great book, with a fun colorful cut out illustrations that build and then destruct the infamous monster under the bed. All of my kids LOVED this book.




Be Nice to Spiders by Margaret Bloy Graham



This was one of my favorites when I was little. My mom ordered it from one of those weekly reader pamphlets and it's great. I recently bought a copy for myself on ebay.


Today I Feel Silly by Jamie Lee Curtis


Today I feel silly, mom says it the heat, I put rouge on the cat and gloves on my feet. I think I might be able to recite this whole book by heart :)



The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf



Who doesn't love a great story about someone who "dares" to be different? I think this book led me to love Fall Out Boy because I got the 'Under the Cork Tree' reference right away from this book.


The Funny Little Woman by Arlene Mosel


This is an oldie but goodie but we only recently found it thanks to Aunt Mary Payne! Tee Hee's and the wicked Oni, we love it!



I'll be adding to these lists soon as well as some awesome reads for the 9-13 age set. What's your favorite picture book? xo, Brie


PS Happy Birthday to a Whale of a Dad - My Dad! xo

3 comments:

Kate said...

So many favorites, but if you haven't read any of Nancy Carlson's (especially I Like Me) definitely check her out. We are big library fans too...may have to post on this soon:)

Bridget said...

Thanks Kate, I just put in a request for it!

adozeneggs said...

Love the book suggestions. I used to manage a LearningSmith store and we had tons of great books. Also, used to be a manager of an FAO Schwarz,lots of great books there too. I don't have kids, but I have stacks of beautiful children's books. I used to buy the ones with the best stories and best illustrations. Have a fantastic copy of Puss in Boots. (a little scary for C maybe, it has an evil Ogre) But the cat is too cute.
So did you get your Dad a Fudgy the Whale Cake?? Or a Cookie Puss??