Friday, February 29, 2008
Thursday, February 28, 2008
I think I might have mentioned in my 7 weird things that I have a talent for remembering lyrics. That all being said, in Fred Roger's memory on March 20th (his birthday) Mr McFeely (I have a feeling exec producers would rethink this character's name in today's world) would like you to wear a sweater (I will take it a bit farther by insisting a cardigan) to remember and honor Fred! I'm in!!!
I LOVED that show when I was little. I am the first to admit it wasn't all that exciting but something about it sucked me in. I think picture picture might have been flashing some subliminal messages to me that kept me glued. I was envious of his organizational skills even as a 6 year old, that tidy closet with all those sweaters and shoes and the discipline he showed each and every time changing into clean sneakers before arriving into his house. I longed for a working stoplight of my own for my room. When Trolley arrived for the Land of Make Believe, I would nearly lose my mind with excitement! I also wanted to derail Trolley when he would come ringing back to announce the end of the Land of Make Believe. Meow Meow kitty was so cute and Lady Elaine Fairchild was positively frightening and often misunderstood. He even remembered to feed his fish everyday.... So best believe, I will be wearing a sweater for Mr. Rogers on March 20th!
I bet Liam will too, he is the only one out of my 4 who actually liked the show (I suspect picture picture again) but there was this great period of time when he would get home from prek 4 and it would be starting just as we walked into the door. We watched it together every weekday and had lunch for that whole school year -so awesome!
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
but thank you, thank you for that awesome dance move at the end! Like Keely and Country Girl have both said.... a cruise ship is calling your name.
your Freddy Mercury was NOT bad and you remind me of Luke Perry which is weird because your name is Luke. You're getting the boot for lacking the old stage charisma.
and last but not least, bye to cute Kady. I love your Brittany impression, it's great! I loved your dress tonight! The stones reminded me of my scarab bracelet which I LOVE and am now off to go look for! xo, Brie
Completely and 100% inspired by Sweet Inspiration's beautiful post this morning, it got me thinking about my Gramma Gert.
I have been incredibly blessed in my life to be surrounded by a great support system. I spent a lot of time with Gram growing up and I will never ever forget her beautiful blue eyes, quick wit, and wonderful infectious laugh. She taught me how to play cards, make fudge, and love traditional irish music. She tried about 200 times to teach dumb dumb here (read: me) how to crochet but I could never catch on. She's been in heaven for 2 years and I miss her everyday. I have wonderful memories, beautiful afghans displayed and used in my house, personalized Christmas stockings, can make a killer fudge and a homemade macaroni and cheese, and can probably kick your butt in cribbage ;) all thanks to her! Miss and love you! xo, Brie
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Monday, February 25, 2008
I had 3 (ok maybe 4) drinks over a 5.5 hour time span and got exactly one hour of sleep that night. Sunday was a complete waste for me (although I am almost done the seven up series). I do realize that the logical solution would be to drink water or limit it to 2 and no more, but common sense is clearly not prevailing.
Black tie events, not my thing. Figuring out what to wear is always especially stressful and I just don't love it. I'd much prefer a casual nice dinner out with friends! I guess I can suck it up for once a year - that's definitely my max!
Hope your weekend was fun and more restful than mine! I'll leave you with this to ponder... Which would you prefer? Your date/husband to be the wallflower type (read: my husband) refusing to dance with his lovely wife (read: me) or a wildly uncoordinated guy who loves to dance the night away (read: some unknown guests spotted). I truly can't decide.....
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Birthday parties were getting completely out of control around here so we made a family decision to go the "every other year" route. I highly recommend it!! So long story short is I caved and let him have a lazer runner party at Funplex.
First a word about Funplex... this was the greatest party we have ever hosted. It is one flat price per guest and you don't have to do ANYTHING else except for goodie bags. This includes invites, table linens, plates, cups, balloons, lazer tag, unlimited use of the bumper cars, 20 tokens per guest (they have all kinds of amusements like skee ball etc) thank you notes, party server, and they even do they cake!!!! Total home run. They key to these parties is to have it on weekeday b/c they place is a complete zoo on the weekend. On a Thursday night we pretty much had the place to ourselves. I really can't recommend this place enough!!
Ok, now it's Lazer runner time. Our party server suggests Dave and I go in for the game. At first we decline, but then change our minds b/c it's held in this dark, day glow room (black lights) with a fog machine and we figured we'd go in to be the safety monitors. At first I have no idea what I am doing... I am trying to laser people on the green team (I am on the green team) and finally my 11 year old daughter pulls me aside and gives the rundown on the rules, lasers me, and disappears - kezer soze style.
At this point something in me snaps... suddenly I understand the game and am quite the shot! Nobody was safe including our very own birthday boy who I zapped about 15 times. As someone who has never really understood or excelled in any way in sports, I do believe I have found my calling! If the Olympics decides to form a team - I'll be there grabbing the gold for the USA.
The game ran for 15 minutes, I was out of breath, had broken a sweat, and scored 14 new fans in the form of 9 year old 3rd grade boys :) Here's our breakdown and in case you're wondering.... I was number 04!!!
Kev thanked us 25 times for the best party ever and proceeded to do this joyful, hilarious, birthday dance while the kids sang "Happy Birthday" it was the funniest thing ever and made me quite sad that I dropped and broke our video camera at the pumpkin patch 4 years ago :( - see I told you I am clumsy. It was a really fun time!!
For goodie bags, each of the boys got a nerf football! An easy route to take and the boys really seemed to like them!
Have a great weekend, I have more nonsense planned for tonight.... see you Monday! xo, Brie
Friday, February 22, 2008
ROFL - this is a joke right???????? I just got this email (below) from itunes..... They must be hearing something different than me! I predict they sell exactly 24 downloads to the contestant's parents!!!! xo, Brie
After scouring the country for the next American Idol, Simon, Randy, and Paula narrowed down their list of thousands of Idol hopefuls to just 24 semifinalists. This week, America voted and ended the competition for Garrett Haley, Amy Davis, Joanne Borgella, and Colton Berry. For the first time ever, performances from each contestant are available exclusively for download on iTunes. And starting on March 11, when the competition heats up even more, audio and video downloads will be available for each of the Top 12 Idols' performances the day after the show airs on FOX.
Check It Out
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Sale through 3/15!
Happy Wednesday :)
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Monday, February 18, 2008
last weekend but another weekend like that may just do me in!
My parents were here to celebrate Kev's birthday again (birthdays around here tend to be more like birth2weeks with multiple parties - and in case you were wondering, NO we aren't done yet! One more to go!)
Highlights included, several basketball games, a trip to the ice skating rink, and we learned how to play this game Kevin loves called Mancala(a graduation gift from his sweet OT Shannon!)I have yet to beat the 9 year old by the way. It is really fun! We also watched more Star Wars movies than I care to comment on. They are SO boring to me. The only guys I like are those aliens who play the oboe music in the bar.
and last but not least, my "sister" Lacey is staying with us for a little bit!! Wish us luck, she is a bit of a diva! A very hungry diva!
Happy President's Day! Enjoy the long weekend if you get it! My husband did not :(
Friday, February 15, 2008
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Project Runway (spoiler alert!) went somewhat as expected last night except I didn't realize we were jumping straight to fashion week with not 1 but 2 eliminations!! All I can say is Chris, you owe Roberto Cavalli - big time! He saved you because he wasn't around for avant -garde week.
And my little Christian.... you make the weirdest little clothes but I was beaming with pride for you last night when you won, like you were my son. Your celebratory snap with the "work it" quip and super joyful skip off the stage made me love you even more!!!! (as if that could be possible)
Happy Valentine's Day!!! xo, Brie
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
The automated system that school uses proceeded to call not once, but FIVE times to tell us there was no school today. It was like a cruel joke to say, "there's no school but we're going to make sure we wake up your whole house at 6am so there is no sleeping in for you today!" I powered through though and was able to fall back asleep :) I'm dedicated to my craft that way!
The kids are already getting into squabbles upstairs, so I suspect this will be one long day! Wish me luck! xo, Brie
PS don't forget to comment on the FREE Valentine key for the drawing tomorrow, the odds are great - LOL, check it out HERE
Monday, February 11, 2008
I have been neglecting my posts on this show. If you have been reading my blog, you know its one my faves. It's been a great season but time's a ticking and as usual I have some serious predictions here. If I don't post them now who will I celebrate with when it all goes down just the way I think it will!!!
We said goodbye to Ricky last week and his strange little choo choo hat so here's how I predict the rest of the season!
The "outs" in order
4. Sweet Pea - I kind of like her but she seems a little less experienced and this is a tough group of talent
3. Jillian - from a design perspective, she is my favorite of who is left (Jack was my original pick to win but he had to leave for health reasons) I think Jillian will exit early only because time management seems to be a problem. As someone who sews, I can tell you the budgets and time limitations are completely insane and unreasonable. The fact that these designers are coming up with actual good looking pieces leaves me amazed!
2. Rami - He was my second prediction to win after Jack left. He is super talented but kind of a one trick pony. Lots of Grecian looking draping etc etc. Plus I am placing him second for two reasons. 1: being such a sour puss with Sweet Pea during that avant -garde episode and 2: I believe he already is enjoying some notoriety by designing for some stars.
Ok, so as if the John Denver sing along wasn't enough excitement for one day.... that very night E is able to snag tix for none other than the SPICE GIRLS. These were hot tickets around here! We each brought our oldest daughters and E's 15 year old niece came too.
Here we experienced a full 180 from our afternoon earlier. Here we are no longer the "youngins" like at the JD sing along. We are now the "old ladies" in a sea of screaming teenage girls and young men wearing shirts that say "spice boy". Seats were awesome, we were 20 feet from the stage. It was seriously unreal... I think I knew 4 or 5 songs they did. I have to say though, they were great. Real entertainers these ladies are!!! They sounded and looked awesome! I felt 100 years old here but we all sprang out of seats for a little "Wannabe" which was one of their encores. Who can resist delicious pop like that? Certainly not me! We debated the whole way home who our favorite "spice" is and none of us agree. For me it's a no brainer - Scary Spice is the best, hands down! Hi Ci Ya - Hold Tight!
PS extra bonus was seeing Carson Kressley from Queer Eye! I love him! He had a great time too, was rockin out the whole time! Hey Carson, remember that crazy middle aged woman yelling and waving to you? That'd be me :D! E was horrified by my shameless adoring of Mr. Kressly, I can't help it, I ♥ him!
Here's some pics! xo, Brie
Awwwww, that's my girl Scary's little baby girl, isn't she cute?
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Friday, February 8, 2008
Thursday, February 7, 2008
1. I am a reality tv junkie, I get way too involved in some of these. I just find lots (not all mind you) of them interesting and they are good shows to sew to b/c they do not require my "complete" attention, I just kind of listen and make snarky comments about how the participants are annoying or funny etc etc etc. I have stooped very low with some of my program watching, embarrassingly low... flavor of love, I love New York, and Crowned. Serious favorites include Project Runway, Run's House, and Top Chef.
2. Sometimes I have serious sleeping issues. I have trouble falling asleep almost every single night and on those rare nights when I do fall asleep early... guess who's staring at the ceiling at 3am freaking out that I am only going to get 5 hours of total sleep if I fall asleep this second. I also sleep with earplugs everynight.
3. I am a bit of an idiot savant with pop culture - you know when you see someone on tv and it's bugging you where you have seen them? I usually know - just happened tonight, I see Miles on Lost and know right away he was Junior's mentally disturbed friend on the Sopranos. I can also pull weird supporting cast names from 70's sitcoms like Polly Holiday, Beth Howland, and Mindy Cohn. It's more like a talent really - see a weird talent!! I was just a touch too young for that mtv show remote control - I would have dominated on that.
4. I tried out to be on the wheel of fortune in college and was devasted when I didn't make it past the written test! Did get a pencil though that said "I tried out for the Wheel of Fortune!"
5. I am super double jointed but have learned to control it a bit by positioning my arms and legs "just so" so people don't completely freak out saying "omg your arm is bending the wrong way!"
6. I don't think this is necessarily weird but many people find it surprising to know that I am a huge Howard Stern fan. I love that show and miss it terribly since he left for satellite radio although I do get Howard TV on demand. I am getting sirius as soon as my youngest is in kindergarten (don't really love the thought of uncensored material around the kiddos)
7. I still know by heart a ton of the Schoolhouse Rocks songs (remember those from Saturday mornings??) Conjunction junction, what's your function???? hooking up words and phrases and clauses.... what is my problem??
8. (yes you get a bonus!!) I am a serious smiling face making offender in email and posts :) I know this, I just think he/she is cute and pop them in everywhere so maybe people know if I am joking around, or happy, or oh I don't know, I just like to make these :)
If you think any of these are weird, just you wait until Monday when I reveal my plans for the weekend (with pics of course!!!!) Even I can't believe what we've got cooked up. Stay tuned :)
I think I am suppossed to tag others, but I am brand new to this blogging, only a month old. Most of the blogs I like to read have been around for a long time and have probably already done this. SO..... I did have fun doing this and if you haven't I recommend you try it. Just say I tagged you ;) xo, Brie
These mocassins were on her site a bit back and you can find the directions here! As you can see the creative juices weren't really flowing for me last night because I selected the exact same ribbons as Caroline, but hey - like I said before she has great taste ;) I bought the mocassins on sale (score!) at Land's End a couple of days ago. Unfortunately the ones I got are no longer on the site :( but if you own a pair, this is a cute way to spiff up some old shoes that need a little TLC. You will have to use glue on the side ribbons, but not on the top bow part which lends itself to swapping. I am thinking I may switch em up every now and again with a leopard grosgrain, burberry ribbon, or hot pink!