Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Time to Refocus

As I browse the blogs that I like to read the most (you know who you are) I find myself drawn to certain topics - cooking, gardening, business, decorating, nostalgia, reading, organizing, shopping, and family. Since these are the things I like, I am going to try to refocus my blog to work around these types of themes for my own posts. I'd like to post more regularly and sticking to this kind of outline may help :)

So here we go... this is a cooking/recipe post. Go grab an apron and chef's hat because today we are making salad! My friend posted this great NY Times piece a few weeks ago with 101 fresh salads for summer. This one is a keeper!!



Here's what you need:

Eggplant
grape tomatoes
pine nuts
white beans
salt
pepper
olive oil
fresh lemon

First up - fire up your grill and then go inside and slice up your eggplant (leave the skin on) brush with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant on both side until done.


As an aside: if you landscaper happens to arrive early to cut the lawn and you are still in your pj's - I say go get dressed over trying to wait it out or your eggplant may become slightly overdone, like so!


TIP!! Cut up your eggplant pieces with a pizza cutter to make nice little squares (don't make them too small or it will be too mushy)

Toss your cut up eggplant in a bowl.
Put your pine nuts in a dry frying pan to toast up a little (keep your eye on them because those little suckers will burn up quick if you take your eyes off them!)
Cut the grape tomatoes in half
Drain and rinse one can of white beans
Toss everything in a bowl and add olive oil, juice of one lemon, and some more salt and pepper.


Serve it up in a toasted whole grain pita and you've got yourself one delicious healthy low carb lunch! I am seriously watching my intake and upping the exercise after a most indulgent and fabulous summer :D
The leftovers stores well in a Tupperware in the fridge for several days!



For a full list of all 101 salads, click here! This recipe is number 27, you will notice I changed it to suit my needs slightly :) xo, Brie