Monday, August 11, 2008

Impressive Cakes!


I mentioned in my last post that Keeks has a real talent for cake decorating! We had two August birthdays here and she made both of the cakes.

Here is an awesome sandcastle cake that she made for our sister Caitlin. The pan she used was kind of like a bundt pan with sandcastle detailing and shape.





First she made a large, flat sheet cake and decorated it frosting topped with sugar for the sand and that pretty rock sugar (my mom got it in England on a trip) for the water.


She piped in all the details with a fine tip. A labor intensive process!

Then she filled in all between the lines with a tiny star tip.

f

Here is the finished product! We all helped out with making the decorations with fondant (purchased at Walmart believe it or not!) It was really fun to make them. Keely also filled in with some chocolate shells and paper umbrellas. It was a really stunning cake and was also delicious! Here she is working on Ms C's 4 tiered birthday cake. We bought 4 cake pans in different sizes (10 inch, 8 inch, 6 inch, and 4 inch). The little balls and stars are make out of the fondant (which are edible but we really only use them for decoration because we don't love the way they taste). Caroline chose chocolate cake with vanilla butter cream frosting.

My mom found the cutest candles (on the cupcakes) with silver stars on the top - they were perfect! For the base, Keely wrapped a piece of foam board with wrapping paper. I thought that was a great idea and made it easy to move to another location!

Thank you Keely for the beautiful cakes :) xo, Brie

5 comments:

Miss to Mrs said...

How do I get adopted into your family? And can we do it before my birthday? I want an awesome birthday cake like that!

The Mrs. said...

That sandcastle cake is my favorite one Ive ever seen!

ZDub said...

Those cakes are amazing! I love the little crabbies.

Please adopt me as well. My birthday is in July. You have already missed it this year, but it will be here before you know it...:)

Sew Gracious said...

Duff better watch out. He has some competition for Ace of Cakes! :-)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Wow- beautiful cakes!!