Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbowl Sunday

Had a great time last night! It was the Superbowl of snacks - all my favorite junkie foods in one fabulous spread! I'm not a football lover but was in heaven anyway :) I made my spinach dip, buffalo chicken dip, and this bittersweet chocolate dipping sauce that I served with tastefully simple almond pound cake, strawberries and bananas. Yum!

Here's some recipes for you!

Spinach Dip
this is my own recipe so the measurements are loose. I can't stand it when people don't share their good recipes - that's a mentality I just don't "get". We used to go to this restaurant Houstons in DC and they had awesome spinach dip served with tortilla chips. The best!

I package of frozen chopped spinach (no sauce)
1 small/medium onion chopped
1 - 2 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup heavy cream
approx 8 slices of swiss cheese

In a frying pan melt the butter and add chopped onion - cook about 8-10 minutes until they are cooked through
Add drained, thawed and squeezed out spinach and cook until warmed through. Add salt and pepper. This recipe calls for more salt than I usually use. You will need to taste it. Add heavy cream, heat through, add swiss cheese and cook until all melty. I usually serve it in a shallow pie plate with tortilla chips on the side.


Buffalo Chicken Dip - I didn't invent this, it's so good though

I shredded the breast meat of a rotisserie chicken I bought at costco but you could easily substitute with a 10 oz package of perdue shortcuts
3/4 cup Franks Hot Sauce
2 room temp cream cheese bricks
1 cup Marie's blue cheese dressing
1 cup mexican blend shredded cheese

Heat chicken and Franks' sauce in a saucepan until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and blue cheese dressing until smooth. Mix in cheese. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 375 20 minutes ( I didn't have time to do that and it was just fine straight from the skillet to a shallow serving dish) I also served this with tortilla chips.


Bittersweet Chocolate Dipping Sauce

This is like the best stuff ever. Kind of like a chocolate fondue. So yummy with strawberries, bananas, pound cake, cheese cake..... the list goes on and on

6 oz of good bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 tbsp sugar

Melt chocolate on very low heat or in double broiler - avoid burning. Add cream and sugar and mix until smooth and blended.


Certainly not diet food, but who cares it's Superbowl!!!! xo, Brie

4 comments:

Treasures By Brenda said...

Your food is enough to make anyone love football! You might enjoy reading my page about The Best-Ever Chocolate Fondue.

Brenda

KaitCav said...

Mmm those Super Bowl recipes sound delicious, especially that buffalo chicken dip. I actually made it on Sunday and used Swanson only white meat canned chicken. It saved me a ton of prep time so I was able to enjoy more of the game! I look forward to your next post!

Zakary said...

I did the same thing with the chocolate in my Little Dipper crockpot. Dump everything and leave it for an hour.

I'm going to try that Buffalo Dip, that sounds awesome...not for my diet though!

Bridget said...

I have the little dipper crockpot - wish I had thought of that! Next time.... My diet is in the can. I have been working out like crazy but eating like crazy too. Whaaaaa
Now I'm making lemon squares. I have a problem!