Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Carmelitas with Tutorial



My friend Carolyn gave me this recipe about 8 years ago and let me tell you, these are delicious! I had never heard of this recipe but my mom and sister claim it is one of those ones that has been around a long time. I am not calling them liars or anything because it probably has been, but I had never heard of it and every time I make these I get lots of requests for the recipe. So... if by some chance you have never heard of them, here is the recipe along with some pics. I am going to be eating them for breakfast here as I type it out for you.






Notice how I took a picture of the recipe to save steps ;) Lazy and inventive!

Try to keep the saltines kind of close together, I have a gap at the bottom b/c my pan is a little on the larger size.

You will be tempted to taste this toffee sauce but watch out it is hotter than poker from a fire, my poor mouth learned that the hard way yesterday.


Hot from the oven!



sprinkle on the chips


Smooth it out with a one of those super heat resistant spatulas. You can see where I have zero patience and willpower as one is already missing from the right hand side.

Put the whole sheet in the fridge and then break it up like a toffee bark! I keep it in a Tupperware in the fridge. Delicious and nutritious :) Enjoy! xo, Brie

6 comments:

lisagh said...

So funny that you took the pic after you snuck a piece... totally what I'd do!

Miss to Mrs said...

Have you seen Jules post today? She's about to throw down a healthy challenge and you know I can't resist a challenge from Jules. (Remember the green smoothies?) Then I come over here and you're drenching saltines in toffee and chocolate.

I guess technically she hasn't thrown down that challenge yet, so if I was to make these and eat them all tonight it would probably be okay. Did I mention I couldn't get my jeans on this morning?

Bridget said...

yeah, I have a feeling these don't make it onto anyone's healthy challenge except for maybe the devil himself ;)

Ang said...

Those are so so good! I never knew they had a name though...we just called them chocolate-toffee and saltine things!

Sew Gracious said...

Who knew crackers could be so good! ;-)

Chocolate makes everything better!

adozeneggs said...

Someone gave me these this past Christmas. I'd never heard of them, but they sure were good. I ate the whole basket by myself.