Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My latest Addiction


Sorry I have been a bit of a no show today, but I am completely hooked on this dvd series that my mom brought to me this weekend. It's called the UP series (seven up, 7 plus seven, 21 up, 28 up, 35 up, 42 up, and 49 up) AWESOME!!! It's an incredibly interesting documentary of interviews of 14 children from all different economic and educational backgrounds. The interviews start when the kids are 7 years old in England. They get their take on family life, education, friends, social issues, and future goals. Some kids are raised in very privileged settings, some are raised in state homes, and one boy is raised on a remote rural farm with a 4 mile walk to school everyday. Then they revisit these same children every 7 years into adulthood (last series is age 49). The physical changes alone are shocking over the years. I am only on 21 up and the turns their lives have taken are inspiring in some cases and somewhat shocking in others. I'm completely addicted and off to check out 28 up! This is a must rent if you like reality type documentaries! xo, Brie




PS available on Netflix, I just checked :)






PPS Top 12 guys perform tonight on Idol!! Woooo Hoooooo :D

6 comments:

Ang said...

Oh, that documentary sounds really really interesting. I am definitely going to check it out! Just stumbled on your blog the past couple weeks...

Bridget said...

Hi Ang, do check this series out. You'll LOVE it!

Kate said...

I really wanted to see this when it was out in theaters. I may rent it when I am home this summer.

cathy said...

ok, I'm curious. Who fared better physically over the years? The people that came from priveleged backgrounds?

Bridget said...

Interesting question Cathy! I am still only on 28 up (1985). I have to say so far the middle class is aging the least gracefully. The 4lower class kids are holding up pretty well, really well actually! The upper class are also holding their own but I don't think dentistry and orthodontists were top priorities for anyone.

The Mrs. said...

OMG I have heard of this and seen a little bit of it. I am putting it on my netflix right now. I bet it is so interesting I cannot wait to see!!!